13 Apr 2011

Reverse Image Search: TinEye, you will love it

I came across TinEye a few months ago, while doing my coursework for one of my Astronomy courses. At that point, I was stucked because I had a few images for which I had to guess which particular planet they belong to, and what exactly the features shown on them were. I had a vague idea of some of them, but I wasn't particularly sure and I wanted to double check, rather than getting it wrong. The Solution? TinEye.

"TinEye is a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution versions.

TinEye is the first image search engine on the web to use image identification technology rather than keywords, metadata or watermarks. It is free to use for non-commercial searching. "
TinEye regularly crawls the web for new images, and they also accept contributions of complete online image collections. To date, TinEye has indexed 1,953,157,319 (and counting) images from the web to help you find what you're looking for."
It did help me find my images, giving me reputable sources (NASA, mostly). And it will help you too if you ever have images, but do not have a description for them.

Do you want even more? Then check Idée Lab which showcases visual search and image recognition technologies.

Use it now, thank me later. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment